Display Ads can be an engaging and eye-catching way to get your target audience to actually buy from your business. Display Ads help your business reach more people in many different places online. They are a good way to promote your business while people are browsing online, watching videos on Youtube, or even using mobile apps. We have broken down the basics of Display Advertising to help you better understand how it works and how it can help your business.
Display Advertising Explained.
Display advertising by definition is the practice of attracting the audience of a website, platform of social media, or other digital mediums to take a certain action. These types of ads are generally made up of images or videos and include text as well. Display ads are also oftentimes used in retargeting campaigns. There are a few different types of Display Ads, and you have most likely seen every type of display ad at some point in your online ventures.
Display campaigns differ from search campaigns in a couple of different ways. One thing that separates the two is the behavior or state of mind the potential buyer is in when seeing the ads. Generally, when a consumer sees a search ad they are in ‘look mode’ and are specifically looking to complete the buyer’s journey. However, with Display Ads, they are seen by potential customers while they are busy doing other things online.
Types Of Display Advertising.
There are a few different kinds of Google Display Ads that appear in different places.
- Video Display Ads:
- These ads appear with Youtube videos and come in three different variations.
- Search Display is one of these variations and shows up when a user searches for a specific keyword.
- Stream Display is another variation. Stream Display Ads show before or after someone watches a Youtube video.
- In-Display Ads are the last of the three video variations. These ads appear next to the video as someone is watching it.
- Video Display Ads are a good choice for any business that knows its audience is watching a video.
- Image Display Ads:
- Image Display Ads are static images that display in various size blocks on websites.
- Text Display Ads:
- These types of Google Display Ads are text-only ads.
- Rich Media Display Ads:
- Rich Media Ads are interactive ads that change dynamically. They change based on who is seeing and engaging with the ad.
- A little bit more design is required for these types of ads, but because of this they are better suited for bigger companies that have a bigger budget and tech know-how or the capability to outsource design work.
- Banner Ads And Interstitial Ads:
- Banner Ads are the oldest and most traditional forms of advertising.
- Banner Ads usually show up at the top of websites in a “banner” type format, hence the name.
- Interstitial Ads appear as web pages that are shown to users before being directed to the original page they set out to see.
- A good example of Interstitial Ads would be the ads that pop up on mobile apps.
Display Ads Sizing.
Display Ads come in multiple different sizes that will fit your business advertising budget and personal preferences. For a thorough guide on Display Ad sizing visit the Google Support page about ad sizes. Here are a few of the technical requirements for Google Display Ads:
- All ads need to be 150KB or smaller.
- Any interactive or animated ads should only be a maximum of 15 seconds.
- GIF ad speeds should be at least 5 frames per second.
- Flash ads should exceed the speed of 20 frames per second.
Display Ad Targeting Types.
When it comes to targeting Display Ads, there are four primary types of targeting available.
- Display Keyword Targeting:
- Google Display Network keyword targeting is the most common and widely used targeting option.
- For this targeting, your ads are shown based on potential buyers’ recent search history.
- To use Display Keyword Targeting you must set up a keyword list, choose your keyword targeting, and optimize.
- Display Placement Targeting:
- These types of ads target specific websites.
- The benefit of using placement targeting is that you are given maximum control over where your ads will be displayed.
- This type of targeting is perfect for businesses who want to match their ads to specific content within their niche.
- Display Topic Targeting:
- Topic targeting allows the ability to target ad placement based on specific topics.
- There are a variety of niche-related topics you are able to choose from.
- Display Interest Targeting:
- Similar to topic targeting, interest targeting allows you to target ads based on someone’s interests rather than content on the page the ad is on.
- With this targeting, Google will show ads to people regardless of what kind of page a user is on.
Click Control Marketing’s Display Ad Process.
Here at Click Control Marketing, we offer many paid advertising services including Google Ads services. We have our own process for drafting/designing display ads.
- The client will begin by filling out a discovery form.
- This helps Click Control Marketing get to know the client’s business and helps to better understand the business’s needs.
- This discovery information also helps us understand the client’s target audience and what things will help draw said target audience to the business.
- Click Control Marketing gets a better understanding of the business’s branding as well.
- The client will begin by filling out a discovery form.
- After discovery, our in-house designer will take the information from the form and transform it into a visual medium.
- Our ads specialists will also use the discovery information about the target audience, in tandem with the visual medium created by our designer, to create display ads that will grab the target audience’s attention.
- A good display ad design should focus on what draws the attention of the target audience, and may not necessarily be according to the personal taste of the client.
- These display ads should also include a clear Call-to-action (or CTA) that tells the target audience what action they should take.
- After the design, the client will be sent a selection of the display ads created by our team. The client will then either approve the design or send over changes they would like to see made to the ads.
- Once all changes have been made and display ads have been approved, the ad goes live.
Display Advertising offers an excellent way to engage your target audience and bolster your business in a variety of online spaces. If you want to learn even more about Display Ads and how to get some started for your business, contact us today! Click Control Marketing is here to assist you and your company with any digital marketing needs you may have. Call us today to get started!